Ben Sage, Moving Woodstock
Top 10 Reasons NOT to stage your home
Top 10 Reasons NOT to Stage Your Home
|This wonderful article was originally written by Janet Jones of Hawaii Home Staging & Design on Active Rain. It details all the reasons why home owners would choose NOT to stage their homes and make the selling process that much more difficult for themselves. Staging is one of the key tools a home owner has at their disposal which will make their homes stand out to buyers, both online and in person, so that they always sell faster and for what the properties are worth.1. We want to test the market for 90 days or as we term it ‘we want to wait and see how it goes’. And on the 91st day? Price reduction-and realizing no matter what you do, you won’t get back in 90 days worth of potential buyers who have already eliminated your property. Ouch!2. It costs too much money. We have neverseen a home where the staging costs would have exceeded the first price reduction. And that doesn’t even factor in the monthly carrying costs of the home.
3. We can’t stage the house, we’re living in it. One common misconception is that staging is only for vacant homes. Every home/condo can be staged, and you can actually live in it after staging. A professional stager will give home owners great tips for keeping the home in show-ready condition – and still live in it – during the course of a consultation.
4. We didn’t have to stage any of the other properties we sold over the years. Yes, once upon a time you could generate three offers by 5 p.m. on the same day your Realtor put the For Sale sign in your yard. Not now. Buyers are picky and they have a lot of homes to choose from.
5. Everyone loves our house so buyers will love it, too. What you, your friends and relatives love about your house may not bewhat today’s buyer wants. Sellers are often baffled by the feedback they get after showings-amazed that buyers have found things they don’t like about the property. We also know that friends & family aren’t always honest because they don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings so relying on these subjective opinions instead of getting in a professional who is completely objective, often costs the seller both extra time on the market and lost equity.
6. We can clean the carpets and de-clutter without someone telling us how. Yes, you can (and should) do this, but it is a tiny piece of staging. Do you know what separates “clutter” from “asset”? Do you know how much to pack away and how much to keep out? Taking down everything so rooms are bare and sterile is almost as bad as messy, cluttered spaces. And what about all the other things that staging encompasses, like traffic flows, highlighting architectural features, updating, and appealing to your target market?
7. We have no desire to remove/change our __________ (wallpaper, mirrored tile, gold faucets, paneling, dated light fixtures . . .).
And neither do buyers. Better to keep your home or be ready to sell at a deep discount.
8. The view alone will sell this place. Then why many months later are these great view homes/condos still on the market? Could it be that buyers want something to go with the view-like a comfortable, move-in ready home?
9. We would rather let the buyers makes their own paint/flooring choices. And that equals a price reduction. If buyers do make an offer on your home they will double or triple the cost of these items and reflect that in their discounted offer price-which includes a deduction for the inconvenience.
These are all great reasons-
There are dozens of reasons not to stage, but only one good reason to stage-getting your home sold faster for the highest possible price. Staging is preparing your home for sale and creating a home that buyers want to buy. We often ask our clients, “Are you prepared to do what it takes to sell your home?”
If you want to be in the best competitive position in this market today, consult withRooms in Bloom Home Staging & Design Inc.before listing your property for sale.
Add Rooms in Bloom to Your Real Estate Team! Let us help you add the WOW Factor to Your Listings!
2012 Canadian Home Staging Company of the Year
I have been successful helping clients buy, sell, or lease residential, commercial, or investment properties in the Woodstock, Ontario area since August of 2007. With technical experience ... Read More...