Ben Sage, Moving Woodstock
Got a Ridiculous Assessment from MPAC? You’re not alone
Have you recently received a
ridiculous higher-than-expected property value assessment from MPAC? Are you scared that your property taxes are about to go through the roof? They might not be. Check HERE for info as to why I don’t believe they will CERTAINLY go up.
If you think the Assessment is simply incorrect, you have an appeal process. Here is a brief overview of the process to appeal your Property Assessment:
1. Read your assessment properly. Look at the value line that says “Your property’s value as of January 1, 2012” If you don’t believe you could have sold your home on January 1st 2012 for that amount, your assessment is incorrect and you should appeal it.
2. You must appeal your value by the deadline. Which is April 1, 2013.
3. If you are planning to appeal your value, you can visit AboutMyProperty to research your city, and your neighbourhood.
4. To Sign up for AboutMyProperty, you will need your ROLL NUMBER and your ACCESS KEY, which are both printed on the bottom right corner of your Property Assessment Notice.
- Hit Register from the main page of AboutMyProperty
- Enter Roll #
- Enter Access Key
- Provide basic information & accept End User License Agreement
5. You may view basic information about homes that have sold in your neighbourhood, and you may view more detailed information about 25 properties in your area.
6. If you still believe that your assessment is incorrect, you may click on the “My Property” tab on the AboutMyProperty page, and click the link that says “What if I disagree with my property assessment?” and follow the steps to appeal the value indicated there.
If you would like my assistance or opinion regarding a fair market value for your property, I would be more than happy to discuss it with you. As a full time Real Estate Sales Representative in the city of Woodstock, I estimate market value on a daily basis.
Thanks for reading, and good luck! Please share your appeal stories!
I have been successful helping clients buy, sell, or lease residential, commercial, or investment properties in the Woodstock, Ontario area since August of 2007. With technical experience ... Read More...