Ben Sage, Moving Woodstock
Selling Your Home Without an Agent
The main reason people sell their home privately without a real estate agent, is to save on costs. In a deal where there are no real estate agents involved, you could save a sales commission of up to 5% or 6% of the sale price. For a $300,000 home, that commission can add up to $15,000 or more.
But your buyer will likely use an agent and expect you to pay that agent’s fees — usually 2.5%. And don’t forget you still have to pay a lawyer to finalize the deal.
4 reasons to sell your home yourself
- You have the time and ability
- Lower sales costs
- More control over the price
- More control over the sales process
There are a variety of websites that can help you sell your home privately. These are often called for sale by owners (FSBO) websites. You can also pay a discount broker a small flat fee to advertise on the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) site.
6 reasons to use an agent
- Their knowledge, skills and resources
- Convenient because they handle all aspects of sale
- No separate sales costs beyond agent’s commission
- May get you a higher price
- May sell your home faster
- They may use marketing strategies you do not have access to.
6 questions to ask yourself
- Are you confident you can sell your home for a price close to what an agent would get for you?
- Do you want to be highly involved in the sales process?
- Will you have time to show your own home?
- Are you comfortable showing your home to buyers?
- Are you comfortable negotiating with buyers and their agents?
- Do you have the means to market your home optimally?
I have been successful helping clients buy, sell, or lease residential, commercial, or investment properties in the Woodstock, Ontario area since August of 2007. With technical experience ... Read More...